Monday, August 29, 2011

A Half-Assed Post for a Not-So-Half-Assed Beer


Coming up on your left, you'll note a fine website with a professional layout, consistent content updates and writers who pride themselves on perfection and quality. On your right, you'll see a half-drunk oaf with a shabby blog forged from the ultra basic template designs offered by Google, who is less concerned with layout and more with laying about.

Right, so, I had another beer.

This new beer just happens to combine two varieties of beer I particularly enjoy; raspberry ales and porters. The result is...a raspberry porter. Once you have returned your jaw from its dropped location to a normal, neutral position, allow me to offer my opinion, and provide you with a brief, not-so-enlightening commentary on Tree Brewing's rather yummy Raspberry Porter.

Oh dear. I've given it away with that last little blurb. Review done, I suppose, jolly good job to all involved (that would be me).

Anyways, yes, this new (I say new because I favour the path of ignorance) raspberry porter is quite good, and a bit of a surprise. On the initial sip, you may not know exactly what to expect. Sure, any reasonable beer connoisseur (that's 'snob' to the Budweiser-swilling pikies of the world) would expect a syrupy dose of delicious from a porter, and a, uh...raspberry-y taste of...raspberries from a raspberry ale. But combine the two, and the result is interesting. It reminds me of a certain rather sweet, very thick cider I once had. In that respect, the flavour, feel and finish are very good.

My only fear, I suppose, is that this particularly porter strays a bit too far from traditional beer. It's quite sweet, it's very smooth, and the taste is very fruity. An untrained tongue may take it for something other than a beer. No. I know what you're thinking, and I'll dare not suggest this tastes like the most reviled of all alcoholic beverages (the satanic works known to most as 'coolers').

Still, as a porter, it works, and as a raspberry flavoured beer, it also works. Strangely, raspberry seems to be the addition that is really working out for the world of beer. With some exceptions (here's looking at you Granville Island). Chocolate...make some space in your life.




No doubt at this point you're expecting my usual thorough and scientific review. Are you going to get it? Hell no. Why? Because I bloody well don't feel like it this time.

(Also because I'm doing this quite late at night, I have been drinking, I didn't actually do this review as a proper beer cruise, and I'm lacking in both visuals and overwhelming passion for this particular beer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment